Thursday, June 11, 2009

Good old paper and pen!




Well, I have to say after my last post about my ailing novel, I went back to good old paper and pen today and it worked a treat. I had a break at work and my hand flew over the page. I managed around 1,500 words in quite a short space of time. Now the vicar is out of the bath and I have discovered something new about one of my characters.

I may try this a lot more in the future.

When I first started writing seriously about ten years ago, I always used pen and paper in the first instance and then typed it up. Over the years though I thought it was quicker and easier to go straight to the keyboard. It makes me wonder if in the process I lost some of my creativity that way. Does one use a different side of the brain or something when typing as opposed to writing, do you think?

It definitely cleared the cobwebs for me today!

4 comments:

Ella said...

hi Lynette, you have probably got a point there, my husband is currently 50,000 words into his first novel and he writes in his notebook then types it up. he feels much more creative doing it this way..good luck with the rest of it!

Lynette said...

That's exactly how I used to work, Ella. Going back to that method has worked wonders for my muse this week.

Sounds as if your hubby is writing up a storm?

What's his novel about?

Lynette X

Jim said...

There's a really good book on writing by Natalie Goldberg called Writing Down the Bones: freeing the writer within. She prefers the pen too. If you can listen to the book on tape read by her. It's a treat to hear her stop and comment on what she just read.

jim

Lynette said...

I've got that book, Jim. It's really good and was one of the reasons I decided to go back to the pen! :)